Oh, Valentine’s Day. Some of us say that with an “ohhhh, Valentine’s Day!!” And some of us say that with an “oh. valentine’s day (barf barf).” What camp are you in?
It’s funny because before I was married, I liked Valentine’s Day a whole lot more. I remember LOVING going to school on Valentine’s Day. Dressing up, heart shaped cookies, writing cute Valentines…you name it, I did it all…and ironically, I was SINGLE! Now, it’s just another day but this year I booked myself a massage and bought some cute cookie cutters to use with the kiddos.
A few years ago I wrote a post on do’s and don’t’s of VDAY and I thought it would be fun to resurrect it! I was single for a lot longer than I’ve been married, and I’m telling you, you can enjoy Valentines day without hiding from the world or compromising your values.
HOW TO BE HAPPY ON VALENTINE’S DAY
1. Choose joy. Joy is a choice that’s not based on circumstances. Choose it and keep choosing it.
2. Spread love to others. Make some cookies for your co-workers or hand some out to homeless people. It’s hard to be lonely and sad when you’re focused on others!
2. Eat chocolate.
3. Hang with friends! Watch a comedy, go out for dinner, have a party.
4. Enjoy your freedom. Go to bed early. Go to bed late. Go for a drive. Plan a trip. Do what YOU want to do before you have to consider someone else in your decisions.
5. Do some self care. Do a face mask. Get a pedicure. Book a counselling appointment. Go to the gym. Do what your soul needs.
6. Journal/pray how you really feel. God already knows your heart and is there to listen. He is the one who can give you true peace.
1. Watch too many chick flicks.
2. Pin your future wedding.
3. Not eat chocolate.
4. Think that you’re going to be alone forever.
5. Settle for creeps on tinder, bumble, etc etc
At the end of the day, Valentine’s is JUST a day. Don’t let it dictate how you should feel. Show it who’s boss (that’s YOU, incase you were wondering ;)