It's been a while since I last posted what I've been reading. Since this last season was so crazy, I didn't have a ton of time to read BUT I managed to sneak a few books in.
As you know, I like to always be reading something. Instagram and twitter won't do it for me. Even blogs don't fill my longing for my desire to escape into words. Nope, only books will do it. Real books with real pages.
(I've been in bed for the past 24 hours with a nasty bug so please forgive me if my sentences don't make sense, ha.)
Ok so here's what I've been reading
1. Fan Girl by Rainbow Rowell- Ok, it was awhile ago since I've read this one so forgive me for not remembering much of it. But maybe because it wasn't that memorable? It's a coming of age book about a girl who enters college and starts learning to live without her twin by her side 24/7. It has some captivating moments but it definitely didn't get me hooked. 3/5 stars.
2. Where'd You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple- I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK...even though the whole thing is written in correspondence. I was seriously captivated from the first page. I loved the daughter and I loved the layers of the mom. In this book the mom goes missing out of thin air and her daughter makes it her mission to find her. I found myself actually laughing out loud while reading this book (which is totally rare for me.) I couldn't put this book down and ate it right up. Do yourself a favour and read it ASAP. 5/5 stars.
3. The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick- If you liked the Silver Linings Playbook, you'll probably love this one. It's hilarious, warm hearted, a bit weird and so real. I don't know how the author made such a great story about a 39 year old man who lived with his mom his whole life, an alien obsessed man and his timid sister, a catholic priest and Richard Gere but he did. There are definitely some moments where I got quite weepy so be warned, you may need tissues! 4/5 stars.
4. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn- I had heard a lot about this book so I was quite excited to read it. To be honest, I was slightly disappointed. It's about the very, very complicated relationship about a husband and wife. I really did not like the wife and I didn't really like the husband...ha, that's probably why I didn't love the book. It's a good thriller though, so read it if you're into that! 2.5/5 stars.
5. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt- So I didn't completely finish this book and I hate it when people talk about something that they never finish but I actually couldn't stand reading this book a second more. I hated it. I was hooked in the beginning and empathized with the main character who tragically lost his mom. But about a quarter in, it got very dark and very confusing. Things seemed to drag out for a loooong time. I think the main reason I didn't like it was because there was no hope. I even skimmed the last chapters and read the last page and it ended with no hope. Read it if you really want to but I definitely don't recommend it. 1/5 stars.
I'm starting to craft my summer reading list! I'm going to California for two weeks in July so I'm on the hunt for good reads as I'll have a lot of time to read on that trip. I'd love to hear what your favourite books are! Leave your recommendations in the comments below.