A couple of weeks ago I hosted a holiday baking exchange with a few friends and I made these delicious oreo truffles! (I'm embarrassed to say that ALL of the treats we made and received are now gone...#sugaraddict)
To add some variety, I made two batches. The first batch was covered with milk chocolate and oreo crumbs and the second batch had peppermint filling inside covered with white chocolate and crushed candy cane! They were both sooo good but my preference was chocolate all the way.
They didn't take crazy long but melting chocolate and dipping the truffles does take some time! Thankfully I had James to help me with that task!
Bring these to share at a holiday party and everyone will just love you.
*Makes about three dozen truffles
- 40 oreos
- 1lb (453 grams) of good chocolate. I used Bernard Callebaut from Thriftys in the baking aisle.
If you're doing both flavours and don't want to double to recipe, purchase 1/2 pound of white and 1/2 pound of milk chocolate.
- 1 package of cream cheese, softened
- Peppermint extract
- Crushed Candy Cane
- Line two cookie sheets with wax paper and set aside.
- Crush 36 of the 40 oreos in a food processor OR in a freezer size ziploc bag until the oreos are fine crumbs.
- In an upright mixer (or by a large mixing bowl) mix crushed oreos and cream cheese until completely mixed. If you're making the peppermint version add 1.5tsp in at this point and mix in.
- Scoop about 1tbsp out and roll into a ball then place on cookie sheet.
- Place truffles in the freezer for about 15 minutes
- Crush remaining 4 oreos or candy cane aka whatever you want the topping to be.
- Melt chocolate. I don't have a double broiler so I melted in the microwave and they turned out great.
- Dip truffle in melted chocolate then place on baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle topping on truffle.
- Place in the fridge until ready to eat!