i’m rocking a skull scarf today in the church office. i’m dressing up as a cat tonight, but decided to leave the ears and eyeliner at home as i don’t want to scare a sweet little old pentecostal lady.
i personally like halloween..a lot! i love candy. i loooove chocolate. a holiday where i am given chocolate for free? COUNT ME IN.
i also love dressing up. in my teenage years, it kinda bit me in the butt as i didn’t know my true value as a daughter of God. i didn’t respect myself, so i used halloween as an excuse to wear as little clothing as possible. sad.
but today i stand forgiven. set free. redeemed. i stand with a new mindset. one that is being constantly renewed by Jesus.
i read a blog post this morning from one of my fave bloggers, joy the baker.
she’s incredibly rad + real + down to earth. and she loves God. it seems like i know her personally…i don’t but i wish! ha…the blogging world is kinda creeepy…
anyways last year she gave some incredible halloween advice…
1. If you find yourself browsing Etsy in search of a tie to turn your cat into a businesscat for Halloween, you’re doing things right.
2. If you find yourself entranced by the candy aisle at Target, you’re really on to something. Although… if you’re contemplating Halloween peeps I would urge you to reconsider.
3. If you think a gorilla costume seems like a good idea… for Halloween and just to have around the house: spot on. Well played.
4. If you’re considering entering a haunted house, INSIST on positioning yourself in the middle of your crowd of friends. If you’re first or last in the group you’re probably going to die. Haunted houses are scary and you’ll probably die. I’d die. Seriously. I don’t belong in a haunted house. I’d get my murder scream on. No one likes that.
5. Haunted Hay Ride? Suspicious at best.
6. Listen… if you’re buying the shoes for your Halloween outfit at a shoe store that also sells skimpy spandex outfits and furry handcuffs, I’m really really going to need you to stop that right now.
7. This brings me to a very important point: the slutty bee/nurse/policewoman/fairy/cat/warrior/French maid/girl scout/bomb inspector/hipster/moose/panda bear/zombie/Strawberry Shortcake… is SO PLAYED (major lame). Ladies. We’re better than this. We don’t need to take everyday things and make them slutty. Why!? Why are we doing this!? Did you know that we have the ability and freedom to dress like hussies everyday of the year if we choose? Seriously. It’s Wednesday, go for it. Be bold!! Why take the respected and regal bumble bee and turn that into a hot mess? WHY!?
I distinctly remember when the whole slutty Halloween costume entered my life. I was 16. I was an old lady (with shawl, wig, crazy lipstick, and glasses). My best friend Andrea was a French maid. Yep. Lines were drawn. I knew who I was….
8. Don’t be slutty. Slutty on Halloween is DUMB and predictable and DUMB! Dressing majorly skimpy on a random Tuesday is edgy. Remember that.
9. You might consider: Cleopatra, Queen Elizabeth, Kate Middleton, Mila Kunis in Book of Eli, a random Jennifer Garner/Alias get up. Other suggestions: dress up as your best friend. Be the secretary to your businesscat. Be a California Raisin. Be a bonkers bride. Be Frida Kahlo. Be Michelle Obama… and don’t be slutty Michelle Obama.. that’s just straight disrespectful.
Oh my goodness, aren’t those awesome! i whole-heartedly agree with everything she says. Read the full post here…doooo it!
Young girls, old girls, any girls, do yourself a favour and choose the non-slutty route this year, you’ll be happy you did!
and all you haters on halloween..read this article from shelovesmagazine… http://shelovesmagazine.com/2012/being-a-christian-on-halloween/