i made you another cookie…
nutella stuffed brown butter chocolate chip cookies with sea salt. oh yes. this is the mother of all cookies. don’t even get me started on this cookie.
i made these for a christmas baking exchange that i hosted with a few friends. 8 of us girls gathered and we each made 7 half dozens of a certain cookie to trade. usually you make a dozen but i couldn’t handle having 7 dozen cookies around!
i wrapped mine using kraft paper (target), string and some evergreen from our Christmas tree.
cute packaging? obviously from rachel.
it was a great night, laughing and chatting and eating and exchanging cookies. i highly recommend having a cookie exchange!
and without further ado, here is the recipe for the mother of all cookies…
nutella stuffed brown butter chocolate chip cookies
makes two dozen cookies
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 jar of Nutella, chilled in refrigerator
Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
1. whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
2. brown the butter by melting it in a saucepan over medium heat. start whisking the melted butter. keep whisking and the butter will begin to foam. keep whisking. after a long time the butter will begin to brown on the bottom of the saucepan; continue to whisk and remove from heat as soon as the butter begins to brown and give off a nutty aroma. transfer the butter to a bowl to prevent burning. allow it to cool for a little while.
3. mix the butter and sugars in an electric mixer until thoroughly blended. beat in the egg, yolk, vanilla, and yogurt until combined. then add the dry ingredients slowly and beat on low-speed just until combined. fold in all of the chocolate chips.
4. now chill your dough for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator,
5. preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. after the dough is chilled, measure about 1 1/2 tablespoons of it and roll into a ball. flatten the dough ball very thinly into the palm of your hand. place 1 teaspoon of chilled nutella in the middle and fold dough around it; gently roll into a ball. place dough balls on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart and flatten with your hand gently.
6. bake the cookies 9-11 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown. cool the cookies on the sheets for 2 minutes. sprinkle with a little sea salt. transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
have fun devouring these!