The choice between caramel and chocolate is a hard one for me. Like reaaaaaaal hard.
Hot caramel sundae or hot fudge sundae? Why can't I have both?
Oh but you can have both. Caramel stuffed brownies are a beautiful thing friends.
Gooey caramel with fudge-y chocolate brownie.
They are a beautiful thing AND a good idea.
Good idea indeed.
| CARAMEL STUFFED BROWNIES |
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips
14 oz caramels (about 60 individually wrapped caramels)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil and grease the foil with butter and then preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine butter and the semisweet (or bittersweet) chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until the chocolate is melted.
3. Whisk sugar, eggs and vanilla into the chocolate until well incorporated then stir in the flour and salt until just combined.
4. Spread about 40% the brownie batter in the bottom of the prepared pan in an even layer.
5. Bake for 20 minutes then remove from oven (don't turn the oven off yet!) and let cool for 20 minutes.
6. While the first half of the brownies are almost done cooling, combine the caramel candies and cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir frequently until melted and smooth.
7. Spread the caramel slowly over the cooked brownie layer and spread evenly then pour the remaining brownie batter over the caramel layer very carefully.
8. Sprinkle the milk chocolate chips on top then bake for another 20 minutes.
9. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely before slicing and serving. (FYI these take a looong time to cool. I highly recommend cooling in the freezer for at least 30 minutes!)
10. Enjoy and share with friends. :)
Hope you all had a splendid long weekend. I finally finished my essay! Now only the editing and then my final exam...yahhhoooo!