So remember when we were reading 10 books this summer? Today is the last day of summer...or is it the first day of fall? Well anyways, summer is GONZO and fall is here and we're supposed to be finished 10 books!
Incase you forgot...here is what was on my list!
I wish I could tell you I finished 10 books....I finished 9.2. I'm still working away on Simplify (and have about 30 pages left of Fashioned to Reign!) and I'll get to that below!
SUMMER READING RECAP
1. Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand....I thought it was ok. A little drawn out but hey it's a summer chick lit and got me dreaming of Nantucket!
2. The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion....Definitely gobbled up this one. If you haven't read The Rosie Project, do that right away! The sequel was cute but not as good as the first one. It was enjoyable enough to recommend though. The main character is just hilarious...love that Don Tillman.
3. One plus One by Jojo Moyes...I don't know why I keep reading her books. I find them all just mediocre. This one had a cute ending but I don't think getting there was worth it.
4. Brain On Fire by Susannah Cahalan...This one was a non-fiction story about a young journalist who seems to go crazy. It was very intense. A lot of medical stuff, which I may have skimmed through but it was very riveting and I would highly recommend it!
5. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving...OH MY GOODNESS, SO GOOD. I fell in love with the character of Owen Meany...he's just so fascinating. I don't even know how to describe this book, you just have to read it.
6. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern...I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I definitely got sucked into the magical world of the Night Circus and loved the characters. I didn't loooove the ending but I don't know how I would do it differently so I better not complain.
7. The Shadow Queen by Sandra Gulland....I was very excited to read this book as I absolutely loved the Josephine B trilogy but oh my goodness, I was so disappointed. I would not recommend this one as there was some weird dark spiritual stuff in it that was rather disturbing...but not only that, the characters weren't developed and it was just blah.
8. Fashioned to Reign by Kris Vallotton...This is a great book to read if you're passionate about seeing women empowered. It's an easy to read theologically enriched book about how it is God's plan to see men and women serving alongside each other in leadership roles! I wish I could meet Kris to give him a big hug.
9. Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee....Ok so technically I was supposed to read Where'd You Go Bernadette BUT I had already read it and I really wanted to read this one by the amazing Harper Lee. I ended up listening to this one on audiobooks through a lot of my runs this summer. It was soooo good. The audiobook was narrated by Reese Witherspoon and she did such a fantastic job. It's the sequel to To Kill A Mockingbird and it was so good. Reading it made me think of the post I wrote just awhile back on what a tragedy it is to idolize people instead of realizing that they are people and they make mistakes.
10. Simplify by Bill Hybels...ok to be completely honest, I've been avoiding this book....ha. I've been avoiding it because I know I'm going to get convicted and need to change my life. HA. I know that's not a good reason to not read the book but it's #realtalk. BUT I'm determined to finish this one this fall, so I'll get back to you on it!
So there you go, 9.2 books I finished this summer! Now it's fall and I'm working on my birthday goal of completing 25 books before I'm 30! Would love to hear some of your reading recommendations! What book must I read before I turn 30??!!