It's been awhile since I've posted a healthy recipe post..haha...kinda hard when all I want to eat is ice cream these days... Well guys, I've been holding out on you. I realized the other day, that I haven't shared my go to quinoa salad with you. I seriously make this recipe all the time. It's quick, healthy and delicious! I brought it to a family dinner and my nine year old nephew asked for seconds!! You know it must taste real good when that happens.
This is super flavourful salad and I make a batch of it every three weeks or so. When it's just James and I, I use the amounts below but when I have international students, I double as it can get gobbled up quite quickly!
MOROCCAN QUINOA SALAD
(adapted from Looneyspoons cookbook)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup each finely chopped red bell pepper, grated carrots, and cucumber
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine quinoa, broth, spices, salt and honey in a rice cooker and cook until done. If you don't have a rice cooker, bring to a boil in a pot then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer cooked quinoa to a bowl and let cool. (I usually do all the chopping when the quinoa is cooling.)
- Once cool add in remaining ingredients and mix well.
So there you have it...a quick, healthy and delicious quinoa salad to bring to your next bbq!