I am a lover of sleep....like I reaaaaalllly love sleep. I can't really sleep in, but I'm reallllly good at going to bed early (except for times when I spend the late hours blogging/instagramming #momboss ). So when I was pregnant with Luca, I read all that I could on sleep and as soon as I had him, I spent those middle of the night nursing sessions reading all the blog posts on sleep. I'm a hardcore type-A planner so as soon as I could, I got him on a sleep schedule...and let's just say he started sleeping 8-12 hours straight by 8 weeks old....I know baby girl could be different but I'm hopeful that applying the same methods and using the same tricks will help her become an amazing sleeper too!...(please be hopeful with me lols)
Speaking of tricks...here are some newborn sleep essentials that I will start using from day 1!
1. The Ollie World Swaddle- Swaddle, swaddle, swaddle. Swaddles are life savers! Newborns have a reflex where their arms like to spring up and hit them in the head, and if they were happily sleeping, this would obviously wake them up. Swaddles keep them restricted in a good way. And these Ollie World Swaddles look seriously amazing. Super soft and gorgeous colours AND Velcro to make swaddling easier.
*Click here to save 10% off a swaddle!*
2. Finn & Emma Sleeper- This sleeper caught my eye because it has an open bottom. Newborns poop & pee allllll the time. I remember changing Luca’s diaper at least every three hours. This sleeper will keep baby warm yet makes middle of the night diaper changes much easier. They also look buttery soft and are made of organic fabric…win win!
3. Dockatot- Now this has been on my wish list foreveeeerrrrrrr. I have heard of the magic of the dockatot and I cannot wait to try it out on baby girl. It’s a multi-functional co-sleeper and playtime lounger. It will be perfect to have baby girl sleep in around the house while Luca roams.
*Click here to save $10 off a dockatot!*
4. White Noise Machine- Get a continuous white noise machine and use it from day 1. We originally had one that turns off after 45 minutes and at first it was fine, but soon Luca would wake up as soon as it turned off. Having a continuous one kept him sleeping through the night, so I say, get one from the start!
5. Soother- Luca only used a soother for the first 8 weeks but it was great for helping him settle to sleep during the evening witching hour! I’m hoping it will do the same for baby girl!
6. Sleepsense Guide- And finally, the guide that I pretty much followed from the get go. In it, you find amazing tips on how to teach your baby to learn to go to sleep on their own…which is the skill they need to sleep through the night!
Let me know if you have any questions. And please, send me your newborn sleep tips as well! I’d love to hear what worked for you!