As you probably know by now, I have a ridiculous sweet tooth. I like cookies and chocolate and cupcakes. It's a good thing I like running and salads too I guess.
My sweet tooth comes calling often, sometimes I ignore the cravings and other times (most of the times) I just head to the kitchen and bake something beautiful. And this caramel popcorn my friends, is something beautiful.
Crunchy. Perfect amount of salty-sweet. Just dang delicious.
Popcorn is popped. Caramel is made.
Now there is a trick to making caramel. The trick is DON'T BURN IT...which I did the first time. Oh, and another trick is, don't put your finger in and burn that...which James did. :p
Popcorn is stirred into the sweet, sweet caramel then baked in the oven to perfection.
After cooled, place it in a pretty bowl and devour it.
mmmmmm mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmm
| CARAMEL POPCORN |
1/2 cup of salted butter
1 cup of light brown sugar
1/4 cup of light corn syrup
1 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
10 cups of popped pocorn
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and then lightly grease parchment paper with butter.
2. Place butter in a big pot over medium-high heat. Once melted, add brown sugar and corn syrup. Stir together and then let sit until it reaches a boil. (Watch the mixture very carefully as it can burn very quickly!!!) Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let sit for five minutes.
3. Stir then continue to cook another five minutes while continuing to stir every 30 seconds until the mixture is a deep golden colour.
4. Turn off heat then whisk in salt, baking soda and vanilla extract.
5. Stir in popcorn and toss until it's covered evenly in caramel.
6. Spread the coated popcorn on the baking sheet and bake in oven for 15 minutes. Toss the popcorn on the baking sheet every five minutes or so.
7. Remove the popcorn from the oven then place on a surface covered in parchment paper. Once cooled, break up big chunks and place in bowl and then devour. :)
Recipe slightly adapted from Gimme Some Oven