Did you know that muffins can be lifesavers? Seriously, one of the greatest gifts you can drop off to a new mama is a dozen of freshly baked muffins! In those early days of nursing around the clock (aka hungry 24/7), I remember being so thankful for the muffins that friends had baked for me.
I alwaaays have muffins in the fridge or freezer as they make a great breakfast or snack on the go. Luca loves them and so does London girl!
I love making these Quick and Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (I use coconut palm sugar instead of honey so London can eat them) but I wanted to add another muffin to the rotation. I came across these Sweet Potato ones (yams for all you Canadian folk!) in the Love Child Organic Cookbook (such a good cookbook for baby, toddler and family food!!) and I loved them so much that I needed to share the recipe with you guys!
SWEET POTATO + BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
makes 2 dozen muffins
modified from the Love Child Organic Cookbook
- spray oil to grease pan
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 2 cups of flour (I use 1 cup white and 1 cup whole wheat)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups roasted mash sweet potato (best if you roast the night before. Just poke holes with a fork and roast them at 425 for about an hour)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries (I use frozen ones)
- Preheat oven to 375 and lightly grease two muffin pans.
- Mix oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and flaxseed in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl (I use my Kitchenaid mixer) mix the sweet potato, eggs, coconut sugar, milk and coconut oil.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient and then carefully fold the blueberries in. Be careful not to over mix the blueberries as it will turn your muffins blue!
- Pour batter into the muffin tins (about 2/3 full) and bake for about 20 minutes. Eat within three days or freeze right away! I usually keep one dozen out and freeze the other dozen!