i discovered two things last night.
1. our bedroom has the best lighting for afternoon/evening shoots.
why did i only discover this last night?
because the blinds over the huge window right across from our bed are always down. if we kept them open, we’d have strangers peering into our bedroom…and i don’t know about you but i like to get dressed in private so the blinds remain down most of the time.
so last night i was running around the house trying desperately to take pictures of the dish i made but i couldn’t seem to find the right lighting. then all of a sudden it dawned on me…our bedroom west-facing window…duh. new afternoon/early photo shoot area established…#boom.
now onto the second thing i discovered…
2. salad success.
i made the salad that will win anyone over.
first of all, it’s de-light-ful, full of amazing flavour. you’ll actually enjoy this salad, i promise.
second of all, it’s healthy, so all those “clean-eating folk” you know will probably eat it if you bring it to a potluck. win-win my friends, win-win.
lemon quinoa avocado salad
recipe adapted from family recipe swap
serves 4Ingredients:1/2 c. dry quinoa1 c. chicken broth1 c. water1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)1 c. cherry tomatoes cut in half2 avocados diced2 c. spinach1 bunch cilantro1/4 c. onion2 small cloves garlicFor the dressing:Juice of 2 lemonszest of 1 lemon2 tsp. dijon mustard2 tsp. olive oil1/2 tsp. italian seasoningdash of salt and pepper
1. cook quinoa. i used my rice steamer, but cook the quinoa however you desire and then set aside to cool. (i did this all while i was prepping the other parts of the salad)
2. finely dice spinach & cilantro in a food processor. (if you don’t have a food processor, chop by hand) add to bowl when finished.
3. dice onion & garlic in a food processor. (here’s a tip to not crying while chopping onions…light a candle! the fire will absorb the onion gas that makes your eyes burn…it works!!) add to greens when finished.
4. add chickpeas to bowl. if quinoa is cooled down, add it in as well.
5. add tomatoes & avocado to the bowl.
6. mix dressing together then pour over salad. toss so everything gets coated and then put in the fridge so flavours can set.
and there you have it folks. one of the best & easiest salads you’ll ever make.
you’re welcome ;)